I love casseroles–broccoli casserole, squash casserole, squash & zucchini casserole, and especially chicken casserole! However, most traditional casseroles aren’t low carb friendly; they typically contain either bread crumbs, rice, pasta, corn flakes, croutons, or even potato chips. I’ve enjoyed the challenge of recreating my favorite casserole recipes minus the carbohydrates that are sooooooooooooooo evil for my body.
I’m so happy to share my most favorite casserole with my blog readers (all 4 of you)! 🙂
This chicken casserole is so delicious that I’ve made it twice in the past week!!! Last night I made it alongside fresh green beans, sliced tomatoes, sliced cucumbers, and a big ole sliced Vidalia onion (our local farm stands are finally beginning to get fresh produce in). I hope you enjoy my chicken casserole as much as my family does. So…without further ado…
*4 cups cooked, shredded chicken (I usually used boiled chicken breasts, but you can use a rotisserie chicken, canned chicken, whatever you prefer)
*1/2 cup diced onion
*1 cup diced celery
*1/3 cup chopped almonds
*1 cup mayonnaise (make sure no sugar is hiding in your mayo–I prefer JFG mayo)
*2 cups shredded, sharp cheddar cheese
*salt & pepper to taste
(You can tweak the ingredients to suit your individual taste–I always taste the mixture before pouring it into the casserole dish.)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Spray a 9X13 casserole dish with cooking spray.
3. Place chicken, onions, celery, almonds, mayonnaise, 1 cup of cheese, and salt & pepper in a large mixing bowl.
4. Mix all ingredients well.
5. Pour chicken mixture into the greased casserole dish.
6. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top of the casserole.
7. Bake for approximately 35-45 minutes; until the cheese is bubbly & golden brown.
8. ENJOY! 🙂