I think casseroles are the most fabulous of culinary creations! What’s not to love about a casserole??? They’re (typically) easy clean-up & literally an all-in-one meal; meat, cheese, & veggies in one gloriously convenient slice 😀 . Sure, sometimes I might dress up a casserole with a nice tossed salad, but it’s not at all necessary. PLUS, casseroles are almost always better the next day & we always have plenty leftover to enjoy for next day lunch (MAJOR BONUS).
I’ve been playing with the idea of creating a chili relleno recipe for awhile now, & decided today was the day to make it happen. I thought about creating a more traditional chili relleno (stuffing ingredients into the chili), but thought it might be interesting to create a casserole instead. So, that’s just what I’ve done.
Thankfully the outcome of today’s kitchen experimentation was SUCCESSFUL! I’m so very happy to share this with you all this evening & believe me, if you choose to try this recipe, you won’t be disappointed! 😀
Cheesy Chicken Chile Relleno Casserole
3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 4, 4oz. cans of whole chilies
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 small, finely diced onion
- 1, 2-cup bag of shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 oz of sliced pepper jack cheese
- 1 tsp salt
- pepper to taste
- red pepper flakes (optional)
- Boil chicken breasts until fully cooked.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray an 8×8 casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Once chicken is cooked, shred into pieces (I use my food processor for this task).
- Place shredded chicken, sour cream, onion, 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese, salt & pepper into a mixing bowl & mix all ingredients well.
- Remove chilies from the can. Slice open each chili pepper.
- Line the bottom of the casserole dish with 1 layer of chilies (it took 6 chilies to cover the bottom of my dish).
- Next, spoon half of the chicken mixture on top of the chilies & spread to edges of the casserole dish.
- Top the chicken mixture with 4 slices of pepper jack cheese.
- Repeat the layering process (chilies, chicken mixture, pepper jack cheese).
- Lastly, top the entire casserole with the remaining cup of shredded cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Cut into slices, sprinkle with red pepper flakes (optional) & ENJOY! 😀