Hi, friends! I know it’s been awhile since I’ve posted anything & I apologize for my crazy long absence. Do you ever get caught up with things that just don’t make you happy? I do, far too often. I have a sign sitting on a bookshelf right above my computer desk that reads, “Do one thing everyday that makes you happy.” I love that saying; I believe this is not only a nice saying, but an essential philosophy to live by in order to have a balanced, healthy life. I’m ashamed to say that I’ve not been living that philosophy very well over the last few months. In fact, there have been times when I glace up at that sign & roll my eyes in disgust. So, I’ve decided life is too short to not be happy everyday; maybe not all day, everyday, but we deserve some happiness every single day.
Cooking & writing this blog make me happy & I’m sooooooo going to try to make both priorities. Even though I’ve not posted in awhile, I have been cooking great low carb meals but I haven’t taken time to put them here — sorry 😦 . Anywho, let’s change that! 🙂
One of my favorite foods is shrimp. Before low carb, I only ate breaded, fried shrimp (and loved every minute of it); however, these days I stay away from the breaded stuff for obvious reasons (unless I’m at the beach on vacation & then I have to have it just once 😉 ). These days I stick with grilled and sautéed shrimp…and SHRIMP SCAMPI!!!
Shrimp is a super quick & delicious meal, so I always have a bag of frozen, raw shrimp on hand in the freezer. I add it to salads & make quick grilled shrimp skewers all the time. Lately, however, I cannot get enough shrimp scampi. In fact, it’s what was for lunch today. 🙂
If you LOVE the stuff as much as I do, you’ll love this recipe.
Low Carbified Shrimp Scampi
- 1/2 pound peeled & deveined shrimp (I like small/medium shrimp, but you could use jumbo)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 cup chicken stock
- Juice from 1/2 a lemon (you can reduce this to 1/4 a lemon if you’re not a big lemon fan; personally, I can’t get enough lemon)
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 cup softened butter
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Sprinkle of chopped parsley (optional)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Sprinkle of red pepper flakes (optional)
- If using frozen shrimp (as I almost always do), run cold water over frozen shrimp until thawed (this takes me about 2-3 minutes).
- Allow shrimp to drain well (let sit for about 3 minutes)
- Heat olive oil in a skillet.
- Add shrimp & cook only until they are no longer translucent (this is about 2-3 minutes for me). Turn them frequently during this process.
- Remove the shrimp from the heat & set them aside.
- Add garlic to the skillet & cook for about 3 minutes. Don’t let the garlic brown; there’s nothing worse than brown, bitter garlic 😛 .
- Next, add the chicken stock and lemon juice.
- Reduce the liquid by at least half (cook on medium high to high heat for about 4 minutes or so — be sure to stir continuously to prevent scorching).
- Add the Italian seasoning & reduce the heat. (I actually turn my stove completely off at this point.)
- Next, add softened butter & stir well.
- Add the shrimp back into the skillet with the sauce.
- Add parsley, salt & pepper to taste, red pepper flakes & grated parmesan & stir well.
- Serve, eat & be happy! 🙂
I usually eat this dish by itself, at most I add a salad. However, this would be PHENOMENAL served over spaghetti squash or zoodles (zucchini noodles).
Have A HAPPY day, Friends!!! 😀