Happy Monday, y’all! I hope you’ve had a wonderful start to this new week. 🙂
I’ve been meaning to post this recipe for awhile now, but never got around to it. When I originally thought about this particular dish, I took REALLY good, detailed pictures for the blog. However, because I’ve been such a blog slacker, I semi-accidentally deleted the pictures. I do have an okay picture to add today, but it’s a picture from my Meallogger journal and doesn’t really include as much detail as I wanted.
I’ve been living a low carb lifestyle for a bit over three years now, and for most of that time I’ve been back & forth with advertised ‘low carb’ wheat/flour products because I question the legitimacy of those products’ claims. Did you hear of the Dreamfields pasta ordeal??? For years Dreamfields advertised their product was only 5 grams of carbs per serving; however a few months ago it was revealed that Dreamfields pasta had been falsifying the nutritional information on their packaging & was in reality over 40 grams of carbs per serving — this is a BIG DEAL if you’re trying to stay under 20 grams of carbs per day!!! If you’re interested in reading more about the Dreamfields debacle, click here. Anyway, I question the claims of products, especially products made from wheats/flours.
I now tend to be much more cautious when it comes to low carb products and really don’t use them at all anymore. Today’s recipe really came out of my new guarded mindset. I love tacos & in the past made tacos with low carb tortilla wraps & never really thought anything about it; however, ‘low carb’ wraps are no longer welcome in my kitchen. So, when I had a taco craving a couple of months ago, I decided to pile all the delicious ingredients in a bowl & call it a salad. The result was aaaamazing! 🙂
This is a very delicious salad full of taco flavor & satisfaction & I promise you won’t even miss the tortilla. 🙂
LOW CARB TACO SALAD
- 1 lb. ground chuck
- 2 Tbs. taco seasoning or one packet (I make my own so I know there are no pesky carbs hiding in there)
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- 2-3 cups of shredded Mexican cheese
- Romaine lettuce (however much you like in your salad)
- Diced tomatoes (to your taste)
- Chopped green onions (to taste)
- Sliced jalapenos from a jar (to your taste)
- Taco sauce
- Sour cream
- Sliced pepper jack cheese cut into small squares
- Red pepper flakes (optional)
- Chopped cilantro (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Brown ground chuck in a skillet.
- Add seasoning to browned meat & stir well. Allow to cook together for a couple of minutes.
- Break up the 8 oz. block of cream cheese & add to meat mixture. Stir mixture until cheese is completely incorporated into the meat & cook together for another couple of minutes.
- Spray a 2 qt. casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Spoon the meat mixture into the casserole dish & top with a layer of shredded Mexican cheese (save a bit to use in your finished salad).
- Bake for about 25-30 minutes (until the cheese is golden & gooey)
- While the meat is baking, assemble your salad.
- In a bowl, add lettuce (spoon a bit of taco sauce over your lettuce), tomatoes, jalapenos & green onions
- When beef mixture is finished baking, add a spoonful or two of the meat/cheese mixture atop salad greens.
- Add pepper jack cheese squares & a sprinkle of shredded Mexican cheese over the top of the salad.
- Garnish the salad with a spoonful of salsa, sour cream, red pepper flakes & cilantro. Add salt & pepper if you need it 😉
- Enjoy! 🙂
I always have LOTS of leftovers to enjoy again the following day — BONUS!!! 🙂